Skip to main content

Dear fellow actor, Stop talking bad about yourself at auditions.



We all know that person. Maybe we are that person.


We freak out, we get insecure, we compare ourselves, and the negative talk begins.


For example:


"Everyone is better than me in this room and I just feel honored to be here!"


"I'm an awful dancer but I'm going to crush the singing portion."


"I'm just terrible at [insert skill here]. I'm just being realistic."


"Oh my god that was awful, I'm so not going to get it!"


Real quotes that I have heard at auditions this past year. Not dramatized. Not exaggerated. Real quotes.


Not only was this annoying to everyone in the room, it was embarrassing for the actor. They reeked of desperation, self deprecation, and insecurities. It showed their flaws in the worst of ways. So why do I think actors do this?


1. They are too busy comparing themselves.


You need to stop. Stop looking at everyone else and focus on you. Once I started doing this I did much better at all auditions. I wonder why? Maybe it's because I was actually focusing on why I was there.


2. They are trying way too hard to seem humble.


Clarification: Putting yourself down is not humility. It just makes you look insecure. Humility is knowing your limits and not bragging about what you are able to do. Referencing quote number 3, putting yourself down is also not being realistic. If you're going to be realistic and know that a part might not be right for you then keep those thoughts to yourself and have a good time auditioning for a role that you might be good for. Who knows when you'll be called back for that again or (what a shocking idea) you may actually get it.


3. They are trying to psych out other actors.


This is what I like to call the Casual Splits Effect. At dance auditions it is a common occurrence to see dancers who want to psych everyone out by casually dropping into the splits the minute they walk into the audition room to warm up. First off NO Physical Therapist recommends you do that because you could seriously injure yourself, but I digress. Referencing quote number 2 you see the person first puts themselves down and then throws in the claim that he/she is a fabulous singer. Again putting yourself down does not make the bragging part okay. Not only did you put yourself down, you then bragged about how you were going to crush the singing portion. Either way it looked desperate and it did not work at psyching any of us out. Hilarious.


4. They aren't doing their best.


Quote 4 you guys. Quote 4. I am guilty of this. This is more common in a dance call and I get it, sometimes this can slip out. It's the last plea to show the other auditioners that this isn't how you normally dance even if you didn't do a terrible job. This sounds like you are overcompensating.


The Cure


Stop talking. If you are nervous do not talk to people. You are probably going to talk yourself into a hole and say something you don't mean. We all do that when we are nervous. No one will blame you if you do your own thing and warm up by yourself and get into focus. If you get the show there will be plenty of time to make friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be educated in finance! Anyway you can!

You are now an adult. You can't live without money. My parents are going to glow with pride when I say this. You were right for making me pick a minor. I'm even more thankful that it was a minor in business. If you're an actor starting out you cannot for a moment think that you are exempt from financial stress. No one is. So why are actors older than me unaware of basic financial principals? If you got them you can save yourself time and not read this and pat yourself on the back for being a well informed human being. Having four years of classes does not make me an expert in any way but I definitely found these tips have helped me in entering adulthood as an actor. 1. Understand taxes. This is a long one. They aren't as scary as you think. As an actor you can deduct SO MUCH of your expenses that are a pain to buy initially if you use them in a show. This includes those fancy Leducas, headshot sessions, driving to the theatre, leotards, AEA and SAG fees, and mo

Christina Kudlicki Hoth: Her Dedication to DFW Theatre

When it comes to choreographers, you know as an actor who has a natural instinct for this career. They can't just focus on the movement. It's about formations, functionality, but more importantly it's about the story being told through movement. It's rare to find a choreographer who incorporates all of those elements to really enhance a production. Christina Kudlicki Hoth is one of those rare gems. But as gems often do, it has taken years for her to become one of the most sought after choreographers here in DFW. Christina has been dancing in Dallas Ft. Worth for 27 years. "I grew up dancing doing, studio work and theatre primarily through school. I didn't do community theatre work until college while I was getting my dance degree. It kind of fed my need to do the singing and acting side while my main focus thirty hours a week was on dance." Before her "return" to theatre, Christina claimed numerous national awards for chor

Daisy Prince: Loving the Music

Editors Note: I  am very excited to introduce my first interview series guest, the incredible Daisy Prince. I was extremely fortunate to have Daisy as my professor in New York City at the Tepper Program with Syracuse University. Her credits include performing in Pal Joey (1995), The Petrified Prince (1994) and Follies (1985) Off Broadway and Merrily We Roll Along (1981) on Broadway. Her director credits include The Last Five Years (2002) and Songs for a New World (1995). It is extremely exciting for me to share Daisy's wisdom in music with you today. Enjoy! When did you decide you wanted to perform and direct?   I come from generations of professional Musicians, Directors, and Writers. Doing something in the performing arts seemed inevitable. On my mother's side, my grandfather was an Arranger and Composer for MGM and Columbia during the golden age of movie musicals. He then became an executive producer for movies including The Sound of Music and West Side