Skip to main content

Can I truly enjoy a show while being an actor?

It's a curse. It's a myth all too true.


Being an actor ruins shows.


We are like the hipsters in the coffee world. We don't like the mainstream coffee like Starbucks, we like the artisan, backwoods, home brewed coffee that you can only get two weeks out of the year. Maybe it's because actors are often times giving off this hipster vibe, but we are very particular when it comes to our craft. Let me tell you it ruins shows. Here are some the reasons why actors make critical audience members.
Disclaimer: Us actors are VERY supportive of our fellow actors. The thoughts below are just some of the thoughts we might experience as an audience member. However overall the people usually clapping and cheering the loudest are probably going to be actors, and that's no matter what the show is.


1. I think I could do better than that actor. To be honest at times we are probably right. In fact it shocked me how many actors on Broadway  Lots of politics go into casting so that certain actress that squealed her line in the most fake, high pitched, loud squeal might just have had a good audition day or maybe she really is sleeping with the director. Who knows, but in the end it comes to the fact that we are jealous she got the role and we didn't especially if we auditioned for that show. We really just need o get over this thinking.


2. I've seen that show done before and it was better the first time. This is obvious because it usually is better the first time when it is fresh and new. There is a huge bias. I am biased to my first viewing of Ms. Saigon at Serenbe because (obviously) it was outdoor with a real freaking helicopter that flew over you. Also the actors were great. That was kind of hard to beat but I forced myself to set that aside when I saw the Broadway revival and honestly it lived up to the expectations. It was phenomenal and both of those performances were amazing in their own right.


3. I've done that role. Oh please, you were HOPING that he/she would trip and fall. Just kidding. Kind of. While most of us are very supportive, some cannot help themselves but compare their performance to that actor. This is why I can hardly go to shows I've been in for another ten years. We know the character and it's permanently apart of us until it goes down the memory trash chute. And in our hearts we prayed that we performed as well if not better than the actor you are watching.


4. There was way more hype than there should have been. I personally felt this way with Dear Evan Hansen. It was a good show for sure but I just sat there in the audience and felt that I had been led to believe that it's the greatest show in musical theatre history. All in all it was really good but not the greatest. I have heard this over and over from fellow actors that they feel this way after viewing heavily marketed shows. Honestly if you're discussing a show, let the other person form their own opinion. If you hype it odds are the other person will feel let down.


5. I just like to criticize. I knew a girl who was one time asked "Do you like any show?" because after every show she would have something that she didn't appreciate about the performance. I don't believe she was in anyway bitter. I believe after being in the business for so long she knew so many technical elements to theatre and had seen so many shows that it was very hard to live up to her expertise. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing but it definitely means you have been engrossed in the theatre.


Whether these are true for actors or not we all LOVE the theatre. No matter how bad the show is we probably would still support it because anything that supports the arts helps us in the long run. Maybe we are critical out of love. Either way please excuse your actor friends that sit next to you at a play. It isn't their fault.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be educated in finance! Anyway you can!

You are now an adult. You can't live without money. My parents are going to glow with pride when I say this. You were right for making me pick a minor. I'm even more thankful that it was a minor in business. If you're an actor starting out you cannot for a moment think that you are exempt from financial stress. No one is. So why are actors older than me unaware of basic financial principals? If you got them you can save yourself time and not read this and pat yourself on the back for being a well informed human being. Having four years of classes does not make me an expert in any way but I definitely found these tips have helped me in entering adulthood as an actor. 1. Understand taxes. This is a long one. They aren't as scary as you think. As an actor you can deduct SO MUCH of your expenses that are a pain to buy initially if you use them in a show. This includes those fancy Leducas, headshot sessions, driving to the theatre, leotards, AEA and SAG fees, and mo

My Journey to Loving my Curves: and why I'm not done yet.

Wow this is going to be a hard one. Mainly I am writing this for accountability, because going through this alone is difficult. Also I am writing this to tell all of you beautiful people who have struggled with self love that you are not alone. Disclaimer: I am not writing this to promote an unhealthy lifestyle nor am I a licensed therapist. If you need advice in any of those areas I highly recommend reaching out to a licensed dietician and licensed therapist. However self love should be a thing all people should strive for no matter what size or body type you are. For the sake of not triggering anyone I will refrain from mentioning weight, diet tips, binging methods and sizing. This is my story. When I was 13, I went to my first ballet audition for Summer Intensives at the American Ballet Theatre. I was young and bright eyed and did not feel bad about my body yet. I was a young girl who wanted to be a ballerina and was very comfortable with my body. However that day that

Christina Kudlicki Hoth: Her Dedication to DFW Theatre

When it comes to choreographers, you know as an actor who has a natural instinct for this career. They can't just focus on the movement. It's about formations, functionality, but more importantly it's about the story being told through movement. It's rare to find a choreographer who incorporates all of those elements to really enhance a production. Christina Kudlicki Hoth is one of those rare gems. But as gems often do, it has taken years for her to become one of the most sought after choreographers here in DFW. Christina has been dancing in Dallas Ft. Worth for 27 years. "I grew up dancing doing, studio work and theatre primarily through school. I didn't do community theatre work until college while I was getting my dance degree. It kind of fed my need to do the singing and acting side while my main focus thirty hours a week was on dance." Before her "return" to theatre, Christina claimed numerous national awards for chor