Skip to main content

To the Seniors on their last first week of college.

I know how excited you are.


And also how very tired you must be. You have worked so hard to make it to this year. So here are a few things that I wanted to give you before you hit the ground running.


1. It is okay to have senioritis.


Because without this you will not be nearly as excited, elated, or relieved when you graduate. This is healthy because it is preparing you for moving on to bigger and better things in life instead of dwelling on your years in school (remember those people who couldn't stop talking about high school and how annoying they were). You are over college and that is fine. It just means you are starting to prepare yourself to go off into the world.


2. Your friends will most likely change a bit.


This was a hard one for me. My circle of friends has significantly changed since graduating, but I promise you it is for the greater good. In school we are forced to be around people in classes, shows, sororities/fraternities, and we have to get along with them because if you don't then your not going to be a happy person. This is fine for school, but for your graduated life start looking at friendships from an outside perspective. One friendship of mine came to end because I simply saw that it wasn't a healthy one. It does not mean I hate the person or love them less it just means that my inner circle changed a bit. Please start looking at the friendships that make you a better person. That truly love you and don't take advantage of you. This is the hardest advice I can give you.


3. Your mentors are human.


You will be let down by them if you put them on a pedestal of perfection. These could be leaders in your school, church, professors, and friends. I used to be so incredibly angry when I would see quite clearly a mentor of mine make a mistake. If I am allowed to make mistakes they are too. I still have problems swallowing my pride and forgiving those who were supposed to lead me, but that is unfair. You will grow up the most here.


4. Take time for yourself.


Start practicing for the real world now. Do not be that adult that takes on so much that you get sick. You can't do that on the job because that is unprofessional. Start choosing healthy choices like going to bed early, eating better, skipping that fast food run, go on a walk with a friend and have a real conversation without your damn phone. This will make you a happier human and in the end you will be prepared to mentally take on the hard things that are thrown your way.

5. Why wait?

Take every tiny chance you have and grab it. Life is too short to be wasting any time. Want to write a play? Do it! Do you want to get healthier? Why wait for tomorrow? Travel! Live life! Learn a new skill! If there is an opportunity to be a happier person and experience something then do it now.


6. There will be more first days of school.

My fellow actors out there are lucky because every new show is a first day of school. There are also first days on the job, first day of meeting a new group of people, or going to live in a new area. These first days motivate
you to put your best foot forward and have new goals. Never stop having these first days.

Best of luck to all my friends who are still in school and striving towards their dreams. I love you and cannot wait to see all that you have accomplished in a year. Don't be afraid to reach out and ask for help in this time. You will need it. :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be educated in finance! Anyway you can!

You are now an adult. You can't live without money. My parents are going to glow with pride when I say this. You were right for making me pick a minor. I'm even more thankful that it was a minor in business. If you're an actor starting out you cannot for a moment think that you are exempt from financial stress. No one is. So why are actors older than me unaware of basic financial principals? If you got them you can save yourself time and not read this and pat yourself on the back for being a well informed human being. Having four years of classes does not make me an expert in any way but I definitely found these tips have helped me in entering adulthood as an actor. 1. Understand taxes. This is a long one. They aren't as scary as you think. As an actor you can deduct SO MUCH of your expenses that are a pain to buy initially if you use them in a show. This includes those fancy Leducas, headshot sessions, driving to the theatre, leotards, AEA and SAG fees, and mo

My Journey to Loving my Curves: and why I'm not done yet.

Wow this is going to be a hard one. Mainly I am writing this for accountability, because going through this alone is difficult. Also I am writing this to tell all of you beautiful people who have struggled with self love that you are not alone. Disclaimer: I am not writing this to promote an unhealthy lifestyle nor am I a licensed therapist. If you need advice in any of those areas I highly recommend reaching out to a licensed dietician and licensed therapist. However self love should be a thing all people should strive for no matter what size or body type you are. For the sake of not triggering anyone I will refrain from mentioning weight, diet tips, binging methods and sizing. This is my story. When I was 13, I went to my first ballet audition for Summer Intensives at the American Ballet Theatre. I was young and bright eyed and did not feel bad about my body yet. I was a young girl who wanted to be a ballerina and was very comfortable with my body. However that day that

Christina Kudlicki Hoth: Her Dedication to DFW Theatre

When it comes to choreographers, you know as an actor who has a natural instinct for this career. They can't just focus on the movement. It's about formations, functionality, but more importantly it's about the story being told through movement. It's rare to find a choreographer who incorporates all of those elements to really enhance a production. Christina Kudlicki Hoth is one of those rare gems. But as gems often do, it has taken years for her to become one of the most sought after choreographers here in DFW. Christina has been dancing in Dallas Ft. Worth for 27 years. "I grew up dancing doing, studio work and theatre primarily through school. I didn't do community theatre work until college while I was getting my dance degree. It kind of fed my need to do the singing and acting side while my main focus thirty hours a week was on dance." Before her "return" to theatre, Christina claimed numerous national awards for chor