Skip to main content

Jonathan McInnis Interview Part III: Printing and choosing your headshot!



Okay you now have your headshots taken, now what? Who else has been completely overwhelmed by the decision process of choosing which headshot is best for you? How important is it to print professionally versus your average Walgreens print (not hating on Walgreens by any means!) Let's find out more in our final installment from our favorite photographer, Jonathan!


In terms of printing,


JM: You can ask your printer if they calibrate their printers and software for accurate colors. You're doing a disservice to yourself to just go to a commercial consumer print shop and print it on the kiosk, which more than likely, has never been calibrated before. Printing is an art form in itself. You might have super contrasting photos with a green tint and you print out looking like an ogre. When your photographer and editor take the time to produce accurate skin tones, you're doing them, and yourself, a disservice by printing them on non-calibrated equipment.


Is it important what you print your headshot on?


JM: It mostly comes down to personal preference As long as it's a high quality print, you can print it on matte cardstock or semi-gloss cardstock. I have seen many actors in New York and Dallas print headshots on photo paper and staple their resume on the back. That is fine, but I will suggest getting prints on photo paper be done at a professional photo lab. The biggest thing I would suggest not skimping out on is printing. Make sure it's 8X10. You can print your resume on the back but there is no problem with stapling on the back instead.


Photo Labs Jonathan Recommends


Professional Headshot Print Shops: Colorworks located in NYC and Reproductions in NYC and LA are the top two that come to mind. I've seen the work that Joe Barna churns out at Colorworks and send my clients to him every chance I get.


Colorworks: https://www.colorworksnyc.com/
Reproductions: http://www.reproductions-online.com/


Consumer Photo Labs: If you must get them done at a consumer based store, these are the only ones I recommend.


Sam's Club
Costco


Victoria's favorite: Actor's Photo Lab. Do not be fooled by the website. You can customize your headshot anyway you want and they calibrate their colors and are way cheaper.
http://www.theactorsphotolab.com


Now choosing the look.


JM: There are two different questions you can ask yourself when deciding which headshots you’re going to use. 1) Which headshot showcases my personality the best, and 2) Which headshot best fits the roles I’d like to go for?

When I help my clients with their headshot selection, personality is the most important factor I focus on. I’ll tell them, “If a picture is worth a thousand words, your headshot is a monologue that speaks of who you are.” You will bring a little bit of yourself and your uniqueness to every role you play, so why wouldn’t you show that in your headshot!

My personal main headshot (found at the end of this article) fits 90% of the roles I go for, however, I’ll switch up which shot I bring in to an audition for certain roles. If I’m going for a dramatic role, such as Quasimodo in Hunchback, I’d bring in a headshot that showcases the nitty-gritty part of my personality. If I find myself going for a fun/crazy role, like Dewey Finn in School of Rock, I’ll totally use a headshot that shows the more wacky side of my personality. I still want to show something true to who I am, but I’ll decide which side of myself I want to show for the role I’m going for.

Here’s a suggestion to discover which headshot’s the best to have ready for use. Post 5-10 of your favorite headshots from your session of Facebook and ask your friends to like their favorites. You’ll find one or two shots get far more attention than the others most of the time. Nine times out of ten, those are the ones you’ll want to use.




Jonathan McInnis is an international award winning photographer and stage performer based in Dallas, Texas. With a degree in business management , and a special interest in marketing and design, Jonathan brings his marketing and stage experience together to offer actors one of the main marketing tools they need, headshots. He has photographed headshots for more than 600 actors and creatives since 2011, and is regarded as the leading actor's headshot photographer in Dallas-Ft. Worth.

His work can be found on his studio's website, Jonathan McInnis Photography, at http://www.jonathanmcinnis.com/.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be educated in finance! Anyway you can!

You are now an adult. You can't live without money. My parents are going to glow with pride when I say this. You were right for making me pick a minor. I'm even more thankful that it was a minor in business. If you're an actor starting out you cannot for a moment think that you are exempt from financial stress. No one is. So why are actors older than me unaware of basic financial principals? If you got them you can save yourself time and not read this and pat yourself on the back for being a well informed human being. Having four years of classes does not make me an expert in any way but I definitely found these tips have helped me in entering adulthood as an actor. 1. Understand taxes. This is a long one. They aren't as scary as you think. As an actor you can deduct SO MUCH of your expenses that are a pain to buy initially if you use them in a show. This includes those fancy Leducas, headshot sessions, driving to the theatre, leotards, AEA and SAG fees, and mo

My Journey to Loving my Curves: and why I'm not done yet.

Wow this is going to be a hard one. Mainly I am writing this for accountability, because going through this alone is difficult. Also I am writing this to tell all of you beautiful people who have struggled with self love that you are not alone. Disclaimer: I am not writing this to promote an unhealthy lifestyle nor am I a licensed therapist. If you need advice in any of those areas I highly recommend reaching out to a licensed dietician and licensed therapist. However self love should be a thing all people should strive for no matter what size or body type you are. For the sake of not triggering anyone I will refrain from mentioning weight, diet tips, binging methods and sizing. This is my story. When I was 13, I went to my first ballet audition for Summer Intensives at the American Ballet Theatre. I was young and bright eyed and did not feel bad about my body yet. I was a young girl who wanted to be a ballerina and was very comfortable with my body. However that day that

Christina Kudlicki Hoth: Her Dedication to DFW Theatre

When it comes to choreographers, you know as an actor who has a natural instinct for this career. They can't just focus on the movement. It's about formations, functionality, but more importantly it's about the story being told through movement. It's rare to find a choreographer who incorporates all of those elements to really enhance a production. Christina Kudlicki Hoth is one of those rare gems. But as gems often do, it has taken years for her to become one of the most sought after choreographers here in DFW. Christina has been dancing in Dallas Ft. Worth for 27 years. "I grew up dancing doing, studio work and theatre primarily through school. I didn't do community theatre work until college while I was getting my dance degree. It kind of fed my need to do the singing and acting side while my main focus thirty hours a week was on dance." Before her "return" to theatre, Christina claimed numerous national awards for chor