Skip to main content

A Year Out of College: Lessons learned



One year.


One year out of school. One year away from New York.


One full year of Adulthood.


Where do I begin?


It has gone by too fast. It has been an adventure, and it is just the beginning.


I have been in three full fantastic productions, a living room concert, a staged reading and have made it through countless callbacks and auditions. I have made lifelong friends and found a supportive church family. I have found a home in Dallas. This city has surprised me in so many ways. It is more metropolitan than it is given credit for. It has a thriving community of theatre and actors that impress me more everyday. It has jobs for actors of all stages of life. Some more experienced than others. It's perfect to become more experienced and learn from amazing directors in this business.


But it hasn't been easy all the time.


I've moved on from a city that I truly loved and still hope someday to go back to. I moved on from friendships that were toxic, which was the hardest thing to do but the right choice in the end. I was lonely trying to find new friends in a new place that is very close knit. I didn't get shows that I was passionate about. But probably the scariest thing about all of this is that I am a completely different person than I was since graduation. I'm getting used to this new person and this new life I am creating for myself.


To the graduating seniors on your first year of adulthood,


Find things that bring you joy that do not revolve around work or theatre. While we love these things, it can bring frustration. Paint, cook or pick up a sport. Find things that will make you look forward to the day when you're in between shows. You will find yourself a more well rounded person in the end.


When someone invites you to a social event, go. Don't stay home alone. Isolation isn't fun and you need to get out of your shell. I get that sometimes you need a lazy day but really do not sacrifice friendships and connections by saying "I don't feel like it." That's ridiculous. You never know who you are going to meet when you go. You may meet a lifelong friend.


Go for every opportunity thrown at you. What are you waiting for? You have one life to live and now is the chance to go for it. Believe in your abilities and believe in yourself.


Live for happiness. If you have any doubt of something stressing you out, draining you, making you miserable, then maybe rethink about doing it.


Above all be patient. Things will not happen immediately. Not everyone goes to Broadway after college and you really do have to work hard to get where you want to be. The best wine takes the most time, so that probably works with your career, right? I made that up so I hope that makes sense.


Let's see what happens in Year 2! I have a feeling it's going to be a good one.



















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be educated in finance! Anyway you can!

You are now an adult. You can't live without money. My parents are going to glow with pride when I say this. You were right for making me pick a minor. I'm even more thankful that it was a minor in business. If you're an actor starting out you cannot for a moment think that you are exempt from financial stress. No one is. So why are actors older than me unaware of basic financial principals? If you got them you can save yourself time and not read this and pat yourself on the back for being a well informed human being. Having four years of classes does not make me an expert in any way but I definitely found these tips have helped me in entering adulthood as an actor. 1. Understand taxes. This is a long one. They aren't as scary as you think. As an actor you can deduct SO MUCH of your expenses that are a pain to buy initially if you use them in a show. This includes those fancy Leducas, headshot sessions, driving to the theatre, leotards, AEA and SAG fees, and mo

My Journey to Loving my Curves: and why I'm not done yet.

Wow this is going to be a hard one. Mainly I am writing this for accountability, because going through this alone is difficult. Also I am writing this to tell all of you beautiful people who have struggled with self love that you are not alone. Disclaimer: I am not writing this to promote an unhealthy lifestyle nor am I a licensed therapist. If you need advice in any of those areas I highly recommend reaching out to a licensed dietician and licensed therapist. However self love should be a thing all people should strive for no matter what size or body type you are. For the sake of not triggering anyone I will refrain from mentioning weight, diet tips, binging methods and sizing. This is my story. When I was 13, I went to my first ballet audition for Summer Intensives at the American Ballet Theatre. I was young and bright eyed and did not feel bad about my body yet. I was a young girl who wanted to be a ballerina and was very comfortable with my body. However that day that

Christina Kudlicki Hoth: Her Dedication to DFW Theatre

When it comes to choreographers, you know as an actor who has a natural instinct for this career. They can't just focus on the movement. It's about formations, functionality, but more importantly it's about the story being told through movement. It's rare to find a choreographer who incorporates all of those elements to really enhance a production. Christina Kudlicki Hoth is one of those rare gems. But as gems often do, it has taken years for her to become one of the most sought after choreographers here in DFW. Christina has been dancing in Dallas Ft. Worth for 27 years. "I grew up dancing doing, studio work and theatre primarily through school. I didn't do community theatre work until college while I was getting my dance degree. It kind of fed my need to do the singing and acting side while my main focus thirty hours a week was on dance." Before her "return" to theatre, Christina claimed numerous national awards for chor