Skip to main content

The Dangers of Excluding an Audience because of their Politics



It is no secret that theatre has been a safe haven for the more liberal side of communities, dating all the way back to the 1800s. It has been more welcoming of other cultures, genders and sexualities than other industries and that is incredible in it's own right.


But we are now faced with a dilemma as a community that started during the 2016 presidential election. I'm sure many of you remember the Hamilton performance that Vice President Mike Pence attended and the hostility from the audience that he experienced. We also saw the "performance" put on by Robert de Niro at the Tony Awards when he yelled "F*ck Trump!" that received a standing ovation by the people in the audience. While I share my frustration with these fellow members of the arts community, I am also concerned. By creating this safe haven, have we made a hostile environment for our conservative audiences? Have we lost those audience member for good?


This is obviously very difficult for me to write because one, I am a Democrat, feminist, liberal and two, I love this community that we have created. It's diverse, it's beautiful and rich with culture. I don't think we should lose that. What I do think we should lose is this attitude that we are making a positive change when making these hostile statements to these audience members. I will use the example of Facebook. You know that annoying former teacher, family member, or former high school friend who is screaming MAGA all over his Facebook page? Right. What do we do to those people? We block, we unfollow, and we don't listen. Right now I hate to say it, but we are doing exactly that to our conservative audiences. So what do they do? They don't come, they don't listen, and that means they don't pay.


Now I am a firm believer that we can use our art to express our political beliefs and we have a right to use our art for whatever we want. However this becomes a problem when you are only showing these politically progressive works to progressive people. They already agree with you, they get your message, and it isn't groundbreaking for them. We are just preaching to the choir and reinforcing our own beliefs. It may have been groundbreaking for your conservative audiences, but we have shooed them away. We didn't change anyone's mind. We also have created this environment of "Well if you don't agree with us, you aren't welcome here." That is not theatre. And isn't that what society did to us? Is revenge really what we want?


We cannot possibly think that we can grow as a business if we are excluding a paying population from the theatre. Now if you want a specific niche audience and are wanting to just vent about your political misfortune, great. Keep doing what you are doing. But if you are wanting to grow your theatre with a reputation of inclusivity and representing a wide range of audiences, then you cannot exclude any part of your audience. Keep creating politically driven work, but maybe allow others to have a seat at the table. They have a right to express their views too. It might be controversial to have a conservative play, but wouldn't that be interesting to bring liberal actors performing a conservative piece for a conservative audience? Imagine the conversations those two groups could have at a talk back. Imagine the bridge that could be made to close the divide. We have to do something, otherwise we will lose an audience forever, and a theatre could open on their platform of conservatism creating a culture war with our own theatres. I don't want that, and I suspect the arts community doesn't either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be educated in finance! Anyway you can!

You are now an adult. You can't live without money. My parents are going to glow with pride when I say this. You were right for making me pick a minor. I'm even more thankful that it was a minor in business. If you're an actor starting out you cannot for a moment think that you are exempt from financial stress. No one is. So why are actors older than me unaware of basic financial principals? If you got them you can save yourself time and not read this and pat yourself on the back for being a well informed human being. Having four years of classes does not make me an expert in any way but I definitely found these tips have helped me in entering adulthood as an actor. 1. Understand taxes. This is a long one. They aren't as scary as you think. As an actor you can deduct SO MUCH of your expenses that are a pain to buy initially if you use them in a show. This includes those fancy Leducas, headshot sessions, driving to the theatre, leotards, AEA and SAG fees, and mo

My Journey to Loving my Curves: and why I'm not done yet.

Wow this is going to be a hard one. Mainly I am writing this for accountability, because going through this alone is difficult. Also I am writing this to tell all of you beautiful people who have struggled with self love that you are not alone. Disclaimer: I am not writing this to promote an unhealthy lifestyle nor am I a licensed therapist. If you need advice in any of those areas I highly recommend reaching out to a licensed dietician and licensed therapist. However self love should be a thing all people should strive for no matter what size or body type you are. For the sake of not triggering anyone I will refrain from mentioning weight, diet tips, binging methods and sizing. This is my story. When I was 13, I went to my first ballet audition for Summer Intensives at the American Ballet Theatre. I was young and bright eyed and did not feel bad about my body yet. I was a young girl who wanted to be a ballerina and was very comfortable with my body. However that day that

Daisy Prince: Loving the Music

Editors Note: I  am very excited to introduce my first interview series guest, the incredible Daisy Prince. I was extremely fortunate to have Daisy as my professor in New York City at the Tepper Program with Syracuse University. Her credits include performing in Pal Joey (1995), The Petrified Prince (1994) and Follies (1985) Off Broadway and Merrily We Roll Along (1981) on Broadway. Her director credits include The Last Five Years (2002) and Songs for a New World (1995). It is extremely exciting for me to share Daisy's wisdom in music with you today. Enjoy! When did you decide you wanted to perform and direct?   I come from generations of professional Musicians, Directors, and Writers. Doing something in the performing arts seemed inevitable. On my mother's side, my grandfather was an Arranger and Composer for MGM and Columbia during the golden age of movie musicals. He then became an executive producer for movies including The Sound of Music and West Side