Skip to main content

To New Beginnings


Vulnerability time. Not much fun, but I'm not one of those people that pretends life is perfect for a false Instagram-perfect-looking-life. These past few months sucked. It really took a toll on me emotionally and physically. It's interesting how your body tells you that you need to press your reset button. The bags under your eyes, tired all the time, anxiety, stress, nothing seems to make you happy, emotional fatigue, and just an overall feeling of "Meh!" After the time that I've had I need a come-back moment. 

As an actor that has a day job, I am constantly doing something on top of rehearsing and working. I have a relationship and friendships to keep up with, events to attend, network with badass women's groups, keep my apartment clean, eat healthy, and lately something is always going wrong with my car.

To say I am exhausted would be a complete understatement. 

In my experience there are two different kinds of people that get caught up. There are people that become solely caught up with themselves that they forget the others around them. Then there are those that become so caught up with the people/life around them, that they tend to forget about themselves. I definitely fall into the latter category. Most women do due to the societal pressures and stigma that tells us our needs are second. 

This past month has truly been the hardest on me yet in my adult life. My personal life was rocky, I lost a friend to suicide, I've had financial stressors, and on top of my day to day responsibilities it really all came crashing down on me. I have a thick skin and I am a strong person, but that foundation and core broke down. Am I out of the woods yet? I don't totally think so but I'm close. The thing that I keep telling myself is that I have prepared myself for this and have gone through tough situations and look back and tell myself "Yeah you are a badass. This is rough but you can do this."

This experience has really caused me to notice the people around me. To have compassion and visibility for someone who may not receive it from anyone else. My favorite movie of all time About Time has this lovely quote in it that puts in perspective the hard times. "Cherish the small moments as if they are the most important. We're all traveling through time together, every day of our lives. All we can do is relish this remarkable ride." 

So I am going to try and restart, reset and revive. I'm traveling in a week to the East coast and will receive some much needed beach time. I'm going to LOVE auditioning all over the place, and LOVE choreographing and performing again (hey cast me please?). I'm taking dance classes, yoga and meditation to fill my soul. I'm going to reconnect with friends and make some new ones along the way. I need to volunteer. Basically I'm getting back to doing what I do best. I am going to appreciate these beautiful people I have around me, and try my best to make them laugh. 

We can't always control what happens to us. We can only control how we take care of ourselves, and treat the people around us. To all of my family and friends that took care of me during this time, thank you. I will never forget you. I also need to appreciate and thank myself for getting through this really hard time and seeing the light. The human body is amazingly resilient and I am a stronger woman after all is said and done. 

Cheers to new beginnings. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be educated in finance! Anyway you can!

You are now an adult. You can't live without money. My parents are going to glow with pride when I say this. You were right for making me pick a minor. I'm even more thankful that it was a minor in business. If you're an actor starting out you cannot for a moment think that you are exempt from financial stress. No one is. So why are actors older than me unaware of basic financial principals? If you got them you can save yourself time and not read this and pat yourself on the back for being a well informed human being. Having four years of classes does not make me an expert in any way but I definitely found these tips have helped me in entering adulthood as an actor. 1. Understand taxes. This is a long one. They aren't as scary as you think. As an actor you can deduct SO MUCH of your expenses that are a pain to buy initially if you use them in a show. This includes those fancy Leducas, headshot sessions, driving to the theatre, leotards, AEA and SAG fees, and mo

My Journey to Loving my Curves: and why I'm not done yet.

Wow this is going to be a hard one. Mainly I am writing this for accountability, because going through this alone is difficult. Also I am writing this to tell all of you beautiful people who have struggled with self love that you are not alone. Disclaimer: I am not writing this to promote an unhealthy lifestyle nor am I a licensed therapist. If you need advice in any of those areas I highly recommend reaching out to a licensed dietician and licensed therapist. However self love should be a thing all people should strive for no matter what size or body type you are. For the sake of not triggering anyone I will refrain from mentioning weight, diet tips, binging methods and sizing. This is my story. When I was 13, I went to my first ballet audition for Summer Intensives at the American Ballet Theatre. I was young and bright eyed and did not feel bad about my body yet. I was a young girl who wanted to be a ballerina and was very comfortable with my body. However that day that

Daisy Prince: Loving the Music

Editors Note: I  am very excited to introduce my first interview series guest, the incredible Daisy Prince. I was extremely fortunate to have Daisy as my professor in New York City at the Tepper Program with Syracuse University. Her credits include performing in Pal Joey (1995), The Petrified Prince (1994) and Follies (1985) Off Broadway and Merrily We Roll Along (1981) on Broadway. Her director credits include The Last Five Years (2002) and Songs for a New World (1995). It is extremely exciting for me to share Daisy's wisdom in music with you today. Enjoy! When did you decide you wanted to perform and direct?   I come from generations of professional Musicians, Directors, and Writers. Doing something in the performing arts seemed inevitable. On my mother's side, my grandfather was an Arranger and Composer for MGM and Columbia during the golden age of movie musicals. He then became an executive producer for movies including The Sound of Music and West Side